Over the next Nine days I will be writing a beginners tutorial to reading Tarot cards. I will do my best to assume that you have no knowledge of reading for others and will attempt, with this Tutorial Series, to take your readings to a place that gives you greater confidence and adds greater depth and subtly to your interpretations. This tutorial will help you understand the following:
- How to choose the right Tarot deck for you!
- Which we will cover in this introduction.
- Learn the 78 divinatory meanings of the cards.
- Put this new found knowledge into place by looking at two card readings.
- An introduction on the Elements.
- Three card readings.
- Introduction to reversals.
- An introduction to the Celtic Cross Spread.
- Putting it all together with loads of practice examples.
- An increase in understanding and confidence with your own abilities.
- Understanding the importance of communication.
- In fact this is the most important skill you will learn.
The Tutorial Series aims to give practical advice to people wanting to learn the Tarot. I try and avoid unnecessary theory where possible; if I think it’s important I’ll do my best to explain why I think it’s important and also how this theory can help you on a practical level. This Tutorial Series will also focus heavily on practical real life examples which I hope will take a lot of the mystery out of reading with Tarot cards.
I want to mention just one or two further points before we begin looking at choosing a Tarot deck. Although I do my best to assume no knowledge of the Tarot, I also do my best to make this as practical a tutorial as possible. This means that it may feel at times like I’m asking you to jump from one idea to another without time for reflection. I do this on purpose, to help build your confidence and to hopefully show you that a lot of things that have been written on this subject unnecessarily complicate the learning process; in fact most of what has been written only serves to undermine confidence.
How To Choose A Tarot Deck That Is Right For You
There are many myths surrounding this stage of learning. I won’t go into them here because I feel it’s unnecessary and wouldn’t necessarily help you in the context of this tutorial. This is my advice for choosing a Tarot deck:
Simply pick one that you like!
There’s no more to it than that really. It’s important you pick a deck you like and that you enjoy looking at it. I would suggest, for the purposes of this tutorial, sticking to a deck that has the standard 78 cards in it. Apart from that there is no rule for choosing a deck to learn with. I think it’s really important that you realise that the deck itself, for all intents and purposes, is the least important factor in a Tarot reading. Its only importance lies in making sure that you have a deck that you enjoy looking at.
For instance, when I was first learning the Tarot, the first deck that I bought was the Thoth Tarot deck. I hesitated because of the myths that I had heard surrounding the buying of a deck. I’m awfully glad I ignored those myths because, to this day, the Thoth deck is still one of my favourites; and the one I use most often with clients. However, if you still feel unsure with what deck to choose then I would like you read a brilliant guide written by The Tarot Sense – Choosing The Right Tarot deck.
Beginners Tutorial to Reading Tarot Cards
This post is part of the beginners Tutorial to Reading Tarot Cards. Follow this 9 day course (with weekends off – oh yes) and you will develop greater confidence and understanding in how to accurately read Tarot cards for others. This course assumes no prior knowledge.
- A Guide to learning the divinatory meanings of all 78 Tarot cards.
- Learning how to confidently do 2 card readings.
- An introduction to the Elements that will help you develop and understand one of the most misunderstood areas of Tarot – Elemental Dignities!
- Applying the four Elements to 2 card readings.
- An introduction to Reversals and applying them to 2 card readings.
- Using the information we have learned so far and combining it into a powerful three card reading.
- Applying what we have learned towards the Celtic Cross spread.
- Communication during a Tarot reading.
- Reflecting on everything we have learned during this tutorial.